Sunday, November 2, 2008

stewart part two

his face was so pleasant as he talked.
it stayed pleasant the whole time.
the changes i saw in it were twice....

once when i asked if he was lonely.
that came over him like a cloud.
wow.
yeah. you could see it.

and when he talked about meeting his wife,
it was lit.
you could see it....

the rest of the time it stayed pleasant.
go figure. what he was saying was far
from pleasant.

the talk turned to his time in the service.
he was in WWII....

he told me stories like no one's ever told
me before. he was at the liberation of one
of the concentration camps.

we didn't get to talk too long. we got
interrupted.....but we talked long enough
for him to tell me things that won't come out
of my head now.

and the whole time......a pleasant look on
his face. i kept looking at that and wondering
what that was about.

he doesn't dream about it.
never did.
it was what it was.

wow.

the mind fascinates me.......
coping mechanisms and what we do to keep
ourselves going......
he fascinated me.

no.
he wasn't the one i wanted learn from.
but he had his own things to offer.
i could learn some of that.
so yeah, i guess i did want to learn from
him too.

now that i think about it.....everyone
teaches me something, don't they?
even if it's what not to do.......

1 comment:

Sorrow said...

Spent the weekend with my beloved friend , She told me when she turned 80, that she only had 20 years left.
She is now 94, and she speaks of the mind that is still sharp and strong, but the body, that just slowly falls apart.
" it's the way of things, that way when it's time for me to go, I'll be to tired to put up a fight"
I cried most of the way home.
not sad, just feeling so much gratitude that there are these people in my life who blaze a trail for me to follow.
You know?
OH MY GOD!
Your word verification?
is
"imatter"
whole-E COW!