Friday, January 16, 2009

we'll get you thru....

when his daughter died, i spent a few
days with him. the darkest days i've
ever experienced in my life.

when i was leaving to go home, i held
him tight and whispered in his ear
'i'll help you thru this.'

i meant it.

and i've been trying.

i just hung up the phone with yet another
person i found myself saying
'we'll get you thru.' to.

i heard myself say it.

and i meant it.

getting people thru.
doesn't mean it's not thru to death's door.
doesn't mean that at all, does it?
it could be getting you thru right up to
the door. it's not about healing.
it's about walking. and trying. and loving.

i think of yesterday, sitting there with my
friend not knowing any answers but knowing
i needed her and all the people in my life.

they get me thru.

that's the part that's life, isn't it?
it's the holding on tight, the whispering,
the laughing, the crying, the caring...
the getting thru.

'the journey' they call it.

life.

i heard myself say that today.
i felt myself say that.

i mean it with my whole heart.

and i realize that feeling that i feel...
THAT'S what it's all about.

it doesn't answer me about where we go after
this life, about what happens and what's the
purpose....i don't know any of that.

but that feeling when i say that to someone....
i know that feeling's beyond me.
that feeling contains every person who ever lived,
it contains all that connects us,
it is love and strength, and courage and compassion
and all the best of life.

we'll get you thru.
you get me thru.

together.
connected.
open.
sharing.
caring.

and the journey continues........

1 comment:

standing still })|({ said...

yes, terri, i do believe it is to the door.... cause things we say this about to those who need to hear it the most... they really will never 'get over' whatever is hurting their heart... they can only wish to get thru it each day, the lows and the highs and the inbetweens... and the lows again. i have a friend, my bestest friend... she lost her dtr. and years later... it is still a day at a time... but now... with me... she speaks with more surety, she shares things like, 'if my babe was here we could do this together...' and we know that means we/she never will do that thing without her babe... cause that... that thing would just not be the same without her precious dtr.

i understand that thing... that feeling you describe when, 'we'll get thru this' is said with an honest open real connected genuous heart.... and it is so pure and so powerful... it almost hurts forever.

love this post... i suggest you use it to open one of your future books... it needs to fly in mho.

lovingly... we'll get thru this, terri... we will.