Monday, June 2, 2008

best friends

i knew we were friends....
and i knew we shared a lot....
and as time past, i started to call him my best
friend.
i'd hear myself say that and kinda be surprised.

how could a guy be my best friend???

a lotta time has passed now. he's got a lot more titles
besides friend...but i think my favorite is 'best friend.'
i think that tickles me the most.

it's not just a dopey term.
it's not just pretty words.
he honestly is just that.

and that's what i keep thinking about tonite.

how'd we pull it off?
we're so different.
i mean SO different.

and yet he's the one i go to when i need help in figurin'
something out or facing something i don't want to.
i know he'll come my way for a thought or two himself.

my boys wandered in the room as i sat pondering this....
and i looked at them and said 'ya know, when you're in
a serious relationship, ask her to help you figure life out.
ask for her input, her thoughts, her ideas. cause then
you really build something worthwhile.'

and then i started thinking about all my friends.......
some i do it with more than others...the asking their
thoughts about stuff.

some just share and we share back and forth, and i don't
necessarily ask things.

and i'm thinking that maybe that's a mistake.
maybe i want to ask more and more.
because i do think it builds something worthwhile.
i think i want to work on that.

maybe it ties into that respect stuff a few blogs back...
maybe asking and listening is all based on respect.

respect, honesty, love....
it all ties in together, doesn't it?

and somehow i bungled into some really good stuff
in my life. and one heck of a best friend............

No comments: