Tuesday, July 1, 2008

my cave man

how can i help you, terri?
he asked.
and he meant it.
i was struggling.
didn't know what to say.
he couldn't really help, could he?

tell me how you are, i answered.

he hesitated, said he didn't want to
tell me all the frustrating stories...
i told him i wanted to see him, not push
him away. see what was goin' on with him.
it would help.

and so he did.
he really really did.
and it sooooo helped.

finishing up the conversation, i thanked him
for doing that.

he laughed. said it was the last thing he was
going to do, totally against what he woulda
naturally done. couldn't believe that's what i
needed.

but i need words, remember???
i need to hear things in words.

a little teasing, laughter, some neanderthal
jokes...a threat to hit me with his club....
and i hung up the phone feeling so much
better.

and once more time my cave man came thru for me.

No comments: