Friday, February 13, 2009

super power eyes and dancing with the trash men

i was walking thinking about some emotions
i was having that i wished i wasn't having.

crossing over to the other side of the street,
i glanced down a side street. the moment i
glanced, a man who had been walking my way
turned right around and went the opposite way.

oohhh. that was weird. wow. it was like my
eyes had super powers. turn them in any direction
and they can ward off things coming your way.

how totally awesome.

i got to thinking about having super power eyes.
how cool it would be to see an emotion coming
that you could just flash your eyes at and whoosh
they turn around and go the other way.

ohhhhh i really like that. i stood at my goodmorningworld
spot and thought of how convenient that would be and
how maybe i need to work on that power.

as i turned to head back, who should i see coming
my way, but the man my super power eyes had turned
away.

so much for super power.

i grinned.
great.
that didn't work.

i'm never exactly thrilled to see men coming my way
on a walk. and lately, my neighborhood is filled with
big burly men wandering around. it always makes me
a little nervous. it's a fear thing. i had a scary experience
once in the neighborhood and it's left me a little creeped
out.

and here i was up in the tree part of the walk....
nothin' to do but look over and say hello.
he was talkin' on his phone. totally harmless. and he
gave me the warmest hello and a wave.

there, ter. my gosh. he's just a neighbor.
nothing your super power eyes had to turn away.

and i thought about that.

it's the same with my emotions.
they aren't anything my super power eyes have
to turn away. they're just coming thru. just like
this guy was. sometimes i'm afraid of them.
cause i've had some experiences that have creeped
me out....but they themselves are fine.
just travelin' thru my space.

and as i was thinking about this, the trash guys
came thru. i like them. they're just so full of life.
they laughed as they blasted by me and made me
jump.

at one point in the walk, they were backing up
fast. really fast. straight shot backwards out of
a court. i was at the end of the court. exactly
where they were heading.

making a face, and letting a little 'yikes' slip out,
i got out of their way. i stepped on the grass and
made the 'after you' signal as i laughed with them.

they stopped close by and the one guy hopped out
and so incredibly nimbly threw the trash on the
truck. we were so close. it felt as all the interaction
between us was some kinda goofy dance.

clearly, we'd be dancing our way down the street
here, so i turned myself around with a wave and
went the other way.

there.
that's it, ter.
that is it.

not the super power eyes that don't work anyway.
but the goofy dance that can be walked away from
with a simple wave and a turn of a direction.

think of your emotions as the trash men.

what were your reactions?

jumping in fear, laughing, getting out of the way,
turning the other way when you're done. goin' in
a different direction when the time is right.

they don't control me. they just come thru.
they play with me a bit, they almost run me down
sometimes, but they're just coming thru.

as i went down yet another street, i saw a trashcan
right in the middle of the road. yeah, these guys
had left it there. and i smiled. it didn't bother
me, it didn't agitate me. i just moved it.

a road block left without care.

my emotions will do that.
leave road blocks.
but i always react.
i don't just smile and move it to the side of the
road. i react.

what if i just smiled and moved it?

what if i danced with my emotions like i danced with
the trash men?

and what if i used my super power eyes to watch
myself do that?

hmmmmmmmm........

1 comment:

Carmen Rose said...

I am facinated by trash people! I used to have a trash-chick at my old house, with pretty hair. I really love watching them work. I don't know why I like watching them so much but I sure like the way you put yours into words! :)