Friday, March 8, 2013

a good weekend mantra

just got in the best conversation with one of these great sons of mine.

their thinking is so different than mine.
i really think the masculine brain has something to do with it.
i find these masculine brains around me really interesting.
i love it because it gets my brain going in different directions.

in the process, m.scott peck was mentioned.
he's a hero in this house.
we all just love his book, 'the road less traveled.'

i went to grab the book and check out the section on love again.

love is on my mind.

being love.
living love.

the quote a few posts down here from marianne williamson really grabbed
my attention.

just in case you need to see it again....and i know i do.....it's this -

“Until we have seen someone’s darkness, we don’t really know who they are. Until we have forgiven someone’s darkness, we don’t really know what love is.” (Marianne Williamson)


the part that got me is the 'forgiven someone's darkness'.....
that part.

man.
easy to type.
really tough to live sometimes.

yet, if you want to be love, it's something to pay attention to, isn't it?

so while i can't say i've been thinking about it all day,
i can say i've been carrying it.
it's almost like an arrow that shot in my heart and has just stayed there.

so i pulled out ol' m. scott and found this first thing -

'Everyone in our culture desires to some extent to be loving, yet many are
not in fact loving. I therefore conclude that the desire to love is not itself love.
Love is as love does. Love is an act of will - namely, both an intention and an
action. Will also implies choice. We do not have to love. We choose to love.
No matter how much we may think we are loving, if we are in fact not loving,
it is because we have chosen not to love and therefore do not love despite our
good intentions. On the other hand, whenever we do actually exert ourselves
in the cause of spiritual growth, it is because we have chosen to do so. The choice
to love has been made.'

i read that and just put the book down.
life with my partner comes right to mind.
i say over and over that he is teaching me how to love.
and i so believe that.
because when we get stuck and have a problem, i gotta say,
we choose love even tho it's really really hard sometimes.
and we've had to dig really deep at this in certain moments.
and somehow we've managed to choose love.
over and over.

and i think of how hard it really is sometimes.
even when there's so much trust and such a foundation of love between us.

how about with those people i don't have the trust with?
yeah.....and my mind drifted there.
not such a pretty story.

i want to be love.
'but the desire to love is not in itself love.'
it's my choice.
over and over again.
it's my choice.

'love is as love does.'

there's a mantra for ya this weekend!

2 comments:

Sherry said...

Conversations with our children (and I'm the mother of sons as well so I know what you mean about their brain vs. female brain) can be so eye opening. My guys give me such a different viewpoint to look at and I can say "well how about that", better than I can with my husband. That quote of Marianne Williamson's is deep..and yes, easy to type, easy to say but harder to live. But what is life without challenge?

MCatherine said...

I, too, have sons and enjoy the experience of being enlightened by their male brain-thinking.