Thursday, September 25, 2008

this love stuff....

i almost stopped to see her this morning.
had two feet on her driveway.
but her shades were down.
too early yet.....

was crazy busy here and i decided it
didn't matter....i needed to see her.
been way too long...i'm just not as good
as i'd like to be with visiting.

so i called to see if she was up for a visitor.
she didn't sound so good when she picked up
the phone. i didn't have the heart to say i
wanted to visit. felt intrusive.

so we chatted.
i asked her how she was feelin'.
not so good. and she sounded it.

and so i let her in.

i've watched this with her before....
when i let her in for real, when i tell
her what's been up in my life and how
i'm feelin', she gets stronger.
she lightens up, i can hear her coming
back.

and she did.
she nurtured me, she laughed with me,
she gave me advice and she teased me.

she shared her stuff, let me nuture back,
and tease her.

we talked liked two girlfriends....she
always loves that. funny, i do too. i start
out doin' it for her....but it's not just
for her, is it?

she sounded years younger by the time
we finished chatting.

i watch it every time.
when i sit and talk with her as my friend,
a person i really care about....she changes.
years fade. 81 years don't look quite so heavy.

no surprise there, huh? we all react well
to love.

but what surprises me is how you can see it
and hear it....and feel it so quickly.

she forever reminds me not to underestimate
this love stuff.

No comments: