Thursday, November 20, 2008

my highlight of the day...

he's way more enlightened than i am.
even tho i call him a neanderthal.
and he IS one.
but he's an enlightened neanderthal.

he's always accepted all of me.
never tried to change me.
knew that all the parts equaled the
sum.

i, on the other hand, have had some
struggles with accepting all of him.
the hunter part him challenged the vegetarian
part of me from day one.

it's been a gradual accepting for me...
and i had it down pretty good. but not
bone deep. definitely not bone deep.

but one day this past summer, i understood.

he very sincerely tried to explain some of
his depths to me. i will never forget sitting
there outside watching him, listening to him
and realizing i would never have an understanding
of certain parts of him. and knowing that was
okay. trusting that. trusting him.

it was an important day in my life.

today, that day came back to me and made me laugh
with joy.

the highlight of my day today was when i was
challenged about my acceptance of this hunter
in my life.

i had absolutely no problem in replying.
i wasn't defensive, i wasn't harsh, i wasn't
anything but comfortable with loving this man.

i was at total ease.
i saw it, heard it, felt it,
and i reveled in it.

when i relayed the conversation back to him
and he said 'did you REALLY say that?' and
i heard how tickled he was.....i couldn't have
felt any better.

i asked him 'do you get it? do you really get
how cool this is??'

and he did.
and i did.
and it is.

loving someone isn't changing someone or wanting
them to change. it isn't asking them to see life
like you do.

that's really nice and pretty to say....
but not so easy to honestly do.

it's taken me years to get to the point where
i got it with him. i really got it.

and today, on a day i've been mourning the loss of
someone who wasn't seen, i think it is particularly
signficant.

we are all beautiful....in our own darn way.

No comments: