Friday, November 14, 2008

sweetie pie honey pie sugar cookie

i hadn't even seen the day yet....
still in my jammies runnin' around.
he called on his way to work.

told him i was gettin' ready to go
out for a walk.

his voice lit up, 'oh it's all gray
and foggy out, you're gonna love it!
perfect for your walk!'

i laughed.
he does know me.

told him about the cranberry colors yesterday
and how i figured out that's why we have
cranberries for thanksgiving, cause it matches
the colors.

he laughed, agreed and said the pilgrim's
musta got up thanksgiving morning and said 'hey,
look, honey, it's cranberry colors outside! let's
match colors and have cranberries today!'

i laughed.
but it was the 'honey' part that caught my attention.

when i was growin' up, my family never did the
honey, sweetie pie, sugar cookie, or whatever stuff.
german farmer blood, ya know?

i remember when i called one of my boys when he was
small 'sweetie' in front of my dad. he looked at me
like i had just cussed at the kid!

i felt kinda stupid.
but i couldn't help it. it just kinda came out.

as time has gone on and my life has changed more and
more....'sweetie pie' has become a name for all the
men in my life. and it's a good thing now.

just one of the tiny changes in my life....
but it means a lot to me.

i rarely use my cellphone for anything but talking
to my guys. so it's really safe to pick up the phone
and say 'hey, sweetie!'

i didn't realize i did that all the time until one of
the guys answered my phone for me, imitated me and said
'HEY SWEETIE PIE!' all goofy like.

i laughed.
and it felt good.
i don't care if it's dopey.
i really like it.
sometimes i think of my dad and that glare he gave me...
he missed out on a lot.
he coulda used a little more dopey in his life.

but that's okay, i'll be dopey enough for the both of us.

No comments: