Wednesday, December 24, 2008

story telling

i indulged this morning....
ahhh......i got up, turned the pellet stove
on in my studio, and then got back under my
covers, grabbed a book and just cozied in
for a bit.

i grabbed a book that most everyone in the world
has read by now except me. 'kitchen table wisdom.'

i haven't even gotten to the actual book part yet.
i just read the introduction and love it already.
she's talkin' about the power of stories and
sitting around telling them.

my typical way of doin' things in my life is
bumbling into them...just stumbling my way into
good things. and that's exactly how i wandered
into the story telling part of life with my guys.

after my husband and i split up, i wanted to keep
an eye on how my guys were doin' inside. so we'd
gather every nite and tell stories of our day. we'd
talk about things that were bothering them, we'd
talk of life, we'd tell our stories.

we stumbled our way into something really precious.

my guy has the most amazing stories i've ever heard.
millions of them. and he lets one out here and there.
always a new one that makes your mouth fall open and
wonder how it is this guy is possibly still alive!
my kids will land like big ol' birds, sit down and
wait for a good story.

and today! today is like christmas day here......
my guy and his son will be here...there'll be
gift giving, a meal shared, games...
and my favorite part will be when we're all sitting
around the living room with the tree tellin' stories.

this book has already reminded me of the importance
of all of that. i'm keepin' that in the back of my
head today......and i'm going to relish story tellin'
time tonite.

it's very timely too as that has slowed down a bit
the past few months. i can't let something so precious
slip away.....

what a perfect day for the reminder!

No comments: