Monday, April 20, 2009

from growling to celebrating....

it's so wonderful to have people in your life
that you can just spill your guts out to no
matter what the mood is.

of course, i prolly woulda spilled my guts
out to anyone at that point!

i met him at the coffee shop. we were meetin'
up to wish his son a happy birthday...

he was there first. had a cup of tea waiting
for me. asked me how my day was.

he knew he was in trouble when i kinda growled.

and i said FIRST OF ALL THERE WAS THIS....
and then the list went flying off my tongue....
then this.
then this.
then this.
AND THEN THIS.
AND THEN THIS AND THIS AND THIS AND THIS.

and it felt so good to growl it out and watch
his grin.

'you're a little feisty today, huh?'
was his cautious remark.

i wasn't sure i was gonna pull off the happy
birthday face.

but when his son came walkin' in with that stupid
grin on his face, i let it go.

we talked and talked and talked.

to an outsider it woulda been an incredibly
frustrating conversation.
to me, it was an incredibly frustrating conversation.
but it was also pretty amazing.

we have traveled quite a road.
seen a lotta struggle thru and are still talkin'
to each other.

and he actually seemed glad to be there.

he told me twice i wasn't normal.
and i think he meant that in a good way.
i'm gonna take it that way anyway....

quite honestly, he has been one of the biggest
challenges of my life.

he has been one of my biggest lessons in stepping
back and letting go.

he has been one of my biggest teachers in love.

and he's exhausted me in the process!
today tho, it all seemed worthwhile.

i sure don't understand this life stuff...
but it sure does make me grow.....
and my wish for him today, on his birthday,
that he too will take it and grow.

happy nineteenth, buster brown....

No comments: