Monday, September 20, 2010

a pretty good start

i was trying to think of a way to express something
that i feel like i saw this weekend.
can't say i 'learned' it....as i don't have
that much confidence in myself.
but i did see it.

it's about love.
and it's about getting beyond yourself.

and i thought....how do i explain what i mean
so that it doesn't sound like i'm sayin' give
yourself away, and don't pay attention to yourself??

and i really felt i had no adequate way to say what
i felt.

and then......i read one poem this morning.
one poem.

and i shook my head.

amazing.

it said it for me.

okay.
this is it.
this is what i saw this weekend.
this is what i wanted to describe.

it's a poem by hafiz:

Love is
The funeral pyre
Where I have laid my living body.

All the false notions of myself
That once caused fear, pain,

Have turned to ash
As I neared God.

What has risen
From the tangled web of thought and sinew

Now shines with jubilation
Through the eyes of angels

And Screams from the guts of
Infinite existence
Itself.

Love is the funeral pyre
Where the heart must lay
Its body.

>>>

i sit here and wish i could say i've 'learned' it.
and then again, i shake my head.

ter, what is wrong with you?
at least you can say you've seen it, you've touched
it and you understand the poem.

that's a pretty good start......

1 comment:

Pamela Jones said...

And the fire burns away all that is unnecessary and impure and at the same time refines that which is pure and essential.