Monday, November 11, 2013

a simple thought that sunk in.

sometimes i feel like i'm learning big things.

not big in their amazingness,
but big in their truth.

i mean to say, they're simple things.
things that seem like no brainers.
you wouldn't call them amazing because of that very reason.
but they are things that take me years and years of work to understand or
see or believe or get...or whatever the word is when it lands inside
me and becomes part of me - a real part of me - not just words.

ohhh and being a writer and a story sharer, i want to tell the stories.
i so want to tell them.
but being respectful of others' privacy stops me so many times.

and then i have to ask myself -
what is it i really want to share?
and it's the feeling, and the thought, and the bigger picture anyway.

and so that's what i'll stick with again today.

i honestly have thought of myself as open minded and clear seeing.
and in a lotta ways i am.
but oh man, in so many more than i'd care to admit, i'm not.

my gosh, we all carry so much stuff with us we don't even know
about, ya know? just even ways we grew up that have become part
of us and we don't even know it. all that stuff closes us and colors us
more than we realize. i would guess none of us are as open as we think.

and i feel like in the last few days i opened more and saw more than
i ever have before. and i don't think i was ready til now.
which intrigues me.

i think it takes a certain readiness sometimes to grow.

so what great simple lesson took hold of me and thrilled me so much?

it's this -

just because we don't understand something, just because it's not part of
us and who we are - does not mean it's void of grace and beauty. and that
the divine can be touched in so many different ways, that we can never
stop and judge what holds the divine and what does not.

and.....that the completely different pathways that take completely different
routes, can end up at the very same mystical magic of life.

seems simple enough, doesn't it?
but as in many simple things - trying to live it is where the challenge lies.

oh yes, trying to live it and embody it and have it be part of your deepest
thinking  despite all the filters, and baggage and the thinking you already do -
there certainly lives the challenge.

and somehow, quite by accident, i understood - in a way i never have before.
and THAT is what has me all excited today.

2 comments:

Diane in AR said...

Today's blog sure fits with today's bone sigh. . .we just need to go though with our hearts - the doors are already open. . . I like this part:


just because we don't understand something, just because it's not part of
us and who we are - does not mean it's void of grace and beauty. and that
the divine can be touched in so many different ways, that we can never
stop and judge what holds the divine and what does not.


This past two weeks, ever since the suicide death of my friend Kathy I have come to love my life - even with all the bumps and ups and downs - all the more -I wonder why it took her sad death to really sink that into my heart, soul and head?? But, her middle name was Joy, so I'm taking the joy and remembering her and moving forward with joy and optimism and hope for my life - I will hold on to that joy AND hold on to living because it is such a precious and divine gift. Thanks ter, as always, for nudging me into deeper thoughts. . .

terri st. cloud said...

diane, i think that's the best way we can ever honor anyone who passed away....good for you!