Tuesday, November 11, 2008

loving the monster parts...

okay, i never post these in the right order.
the posts below help explain this one...

compassion.
that's how i'll love those parts of me.
by starting with compassion.

what i do instead of showin' myself compassion
is i kick myself.

jeesh.

i start by kicking myself and scolding myself.
self doubt fires up at that point and i get
real wobbly.
and then the monsters start rising up, and
i get scared and hide.

wow.
that's not such a great strategy.

and i think that may very well be a pattern.

ya gotta wonder about some of these patterns.

but!
instead of continuing it right now and scolding
myself and then letting the rest happen....

how about the compassion?

i just looked up the word compassion....
deep awareness of the suffering of another or oneself
coupled with the wish to relieve it. understanding
without judgment.

ya know....
it might just feel really good to practice some
compassion on myself.

i've told myself this before and i've tried because
i know i should.

but the 'should' stuff only gets ya so far.

this morning, i WANT to.
i want to give myself that.

i NEED to.

is it possible i'm finally growing into it?
wouldn't that just be awesome??

gonna give that a shot today....
and i'm gonna work on lovin' those monster parts
in me....that maybe aren't monstery at all...
maybe they're quite lovely.....

1 comment:

Merry ME said...

Okay, this might be a little off base but stick with me! When I read your post I immediately had a vision on the Billy Chrystal eyeball monster in the movie Monsters Inc. A lot of the monsters were frightening in a rated PG kind of way. But the big eyeball (and his co-hort played by John Goodman) just didn't do "scary" very well.

Do you think that our own personal monsters could be less frightening too, if we embraced them; laughed at them, or said bugaboo right back.

Really deep down inside the monsters are really just a part of the same Teri - like the little girl, and the tree-loving lady and the compassionate friend. I believe the monsters are needed to keep us in check so we don't go over the niceness edge! So we keep ourselves balanced. So all our parts work together as one. None are meant to be scary but get that way when they don't get the attention they need.

Try laughing at your monsters and see if their power goes away! Here's a quote from Monsters Inc. I have no idea of the context or who Yeti was in the movie. But I think the meaning is still good. Go on Tess, put a tiara on a monster or two and see if they aren't easier to handle.
"Yeti: Now take Bigfoot for example. When he was banished he made a hat out of Poison Ivy. Wore it like a tiara. Called himself "King Itchy".

Loving you and hoping you're less sad.